Skip to main content

A new perspective on church

I am 35 weeks pregnant right now.  Jake and I are so excited to welcome our first baby!  Pregnancy has been pretty easy.  The first trimester was hard because I spent about 5 weeks of it on the couch and nauseated constantly, but after that it's been smooth sailing for the most part.  I mean, there have been a few nuisances along the way, but nothing major.  My blood sugar was higher than my midwife liked, so I have been on a high-protein low-carb diet for the past 6 weeks.  And she really encouraged healthy eating the whole pregnancy, so before the new diet, I was already eating well.  Because of all that, I haven't gained much weight.  Yes, baby is growing well and will probably be a big baby anyway, but thankfully I won't have a ton of extra weight to lose once baby gets here.  I do have to keep reminding myself of that when I get tired of not having any sugar. :)

One of the things that we want to do before the baby gets here is to find a church home.  We left our former church almost a year ago and have been visiting another pretty regularly since then, but neither feel like "home."  Since looking for a church home, Jake and I have both learned that although actual worship is such a big part of feeling comfortable in a church, what happens after church is what makes us feel at home.  Right now we are just really struggling to find a balance between the community we feel with people after church and edifying worship.  Several years ago, I was blessed enough to be part of such a place, but, well, things change.

I feel like this could be a lesson for many of us.  Making worship something spectacular can be a beneficial thing, but it doesn't matter if the people in attendance don't feel like part of the family.  The song service might sometimes be "off," the preacher might be boring, I might get distracted during communion, but if the final "amen" is said and I spend the next 30 minutes or so feeling like part of a family - loved, wanted, appreciated, etc. - then I can leave the building saying "This has been a great day!"  When we start bringing our new bundle to church, we want him/her to be in a community that really focuses on the "after church" experience.  Because that is what will make him/her feel like part of God's family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The smile I didn't want, but needed

While Nev and I were out and about today, I decided to make a quick stop to Walmart on the way home.  I decided to wear her throughout the store since she just can't quite sit up in the cart yet.  A few people complimented her or my wrap as we walked through the store.  One woman stopped me to ask me how I made something to wrap her like that.  I explained that I bought the wrap, but gave a quick one-liner about baby wearing.  English was not her first language, and I don't understand thick accents very well, so it was taking all of my concentration to have a conversation with her.  She asked me several questions about wrapping.  About a minute in, though, she abruptly changed the subject to why she *really* stopped to talk to me. A church group in which she is involved has started a Bible study and she was out to recruit members.  She asked where I go to church and I told her.  I was in a part of town very far from my house and much farther from my congregation.  I explained

I think it's official!

I was recently asked by my friend, Kathleen, to be involved in the planning of a charity fundraiser 5k and 1 mile Fun Run/Walk.  Well, we have the go-ahead so mark your calendars for May 21 and make plans to come to Irving, TX!  We are coordinating the event to benefit Family Promise of Irving.  I'll post the details as they are confirmed.  We will need people to be involved in every aspect - runners as well as volunteers! Family Promise is really cool - it's an organization that partners with "host congregations" to provide a place for low- or no- income families to stay while they are getting back on their feet.  For more info, check out their website - clicky clicky . This is just one of the many things that has kept me busy!  (I even missed WIWW this week!  Eeek!) Be on the lookout for a crafty blog post, soon! :)

What I Wore Wednesday

Headband - Claire's Shirt - Target Skirt - Ann Taylor Loft (love that store!  They have the best clearance!) Shoes - Target Happy Wednesday!